Monday, May 1, 2017

Celiac Awareness Month 2017


I'm sure you've already seen many posts about May being Celiac Awareness Month.  For those of us living with Celiac Disease, we are aware every single day of the year.  This month is set aside for us to help educate others on this very real and serious autoimmune disease, to encourage people to get tested if they think they may have Celiac Disease and to connect with others in the Celiac/Gluten Free Community.

In the spirit of connecting, I want to hear YOUR Celiac story!  I'm interested in you, Dear Reader, and how Celiac has affected your life and family.  This month is the perfect opportunity for you to share your experiences and story with others.  Stand up.  Be heard.  Help make others aware by telling your story, so they can see that this is real people, living, dealing, struggling, succeeding through this disease.


How are you helping to spread the word about Celiac Disease?  I started the month off by baking!  This past Saturday was my 49th (shhhh - don't say it aloud!) birthday and I decided to treat my co-workers with some gluten free cupcakes - nearly homemade.  I used a couple of chocolate cake mixes by Better For You Bakery (for information about Better For You Bakery, click here.)  I decorated each cupcake with a green awareness ribbon.  These cupcakes were so moist and delicious that my non-gluten free co-workers loved them!  Several even wanted my recipe!  Of course, I had to tell them they could make these yummy cupcakes, too, just by heading to one of the Sioux City Hy-Vee Food Stores to buy the mix!  I'm also working with some other Celiac bloggers on some neat ideas for raising awareness throughout the month.  Stay tuned to see what these are.


Please comment below and tell me your Celiac story and/or how you plan to help raise awareness for Celiac Disease this month.  We're all in this together - you're not alone!  I think you'll be surprised how many people understand what you are going through.

Also, stay tuned for more posts - this month I will be writing about the GF/AF Expo in Schaumburg, IL that took place 4/22 & 4/23, as well as bringing you product reviews, posts about GF kids, travel and much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment