Wednesday, May 3, 2017

God's Green Earth

Photo Credit: God's Green Earth Facebook page (used with permission)

In 2016 I had the privilege to meet Alafia and Marije Wright at their booth at the Sioux City Farmer's Market (which opened for the 2017 Summer Season today, by the way).  The Wright's produce a skin care line, which includes soaps, lotions, lip balm and much, much more, under the company name of God's Green Earth.  It was the name of their company that first caught my eye.  I tried their soap and hand lotion and quickly became a regular customer!  

    Tea Tree soap                                    Facial Scrub
     Facial Lotion             Lavender Hand & Body Cream

These are just a few of the products I've purchased and used from God's Green Earth.  The Tea Tree Soap is my favorite.  I love that the fragrance helps wake me up in my morning shower - especially since I am NOT a morning person at all.  The soap is gentle and leaves my skin soft and without a filmy residue that some store bought soaps leave behind - yuck! The Facial Scrub was a different experience for me.  I haven't used one like it before.  The texture is what you'd expect for a facial scrub, gritty.  It doesn't take very much product to work gently into your damp face and then wash off with warm water.  It exfoliates really well and leaves me feeling fresh and clean.  I've gone through a couple of bottles of the Facial Lotion.  Again, it doesn't take a lot to cover my entire face.  I use it in the morning under my make up and at night after I've washed the make up off.  The lotion doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy, but smooth and silky soft.  I've had dry skin most of my life, but since using the products from God's Green Earth, my skin feels hydrated and soft, not rough and scaly!  Probably my very favorite products are the Lavender Hand & Body Cream and the Lip Balm (not pictured).  I use the hand & body cream on my hands, my rough (not anymore) elbows and calloused feet.  I'm amazed at how smooth using this cream has made the roughest, most dry areas of my skin.  The lavender scent is very relaxing and calming.  I like to use the cream especially at night before going to bed because of its soothing qualities.  The lip balm really surprised me the most.  I can't stand to have dry, chapped lips.  It drives me crazy.  I always carry lip balm and put it on a lot through out the day.  The lip balm from God's Green Earth I can apply once at the start of the day and my lips stay moist and hydrated all day long.

I asked Marije to give me a little information about their business and the inspiration behind it.

"God's Green Earth was established in 2014 by husband and wife team Alafia & Marije.  After their children had been diagnosed with eczema, asthma and food sensitivities to Gluten, Soy and Lactose they were on a quest to find natural remedies.  The prescribed medications for eczema are full of steroids and were causing undesirable side effects.  Alafia & Marije tested many recipes for soaps, lotions, toiletries and household cleaners before being confident in bringing them to market for sale.  Alafia & Marije have a commitment to produce their product lines toxic-free with as many natural, organic, GMO-free, dairy free, soy free and gluten free ingredients as possible.  They only use a small amount of preservative for their lotions because they grow bacteria and get rancid quickly, which would make them unsafe.  They source their ingredients from reputable companies and try to buy as many ingredients locally as possible.  At God's Green Earth nothing gets made that Alafia & Marije wouldn't use themselves for their family of 7.  They are committed to providing toxic free products that you can be confident are safe and enjoyable to use in your household.  Alafia & Marije offer products that are allergen friendly, meaning that they create their products in a manner where they are safe to use for people with sensitivities and allergies to gluten, soy and dairy.  At God's Green Earth we know our skin is our largest organ and we want to help our customers take care of their skin in a healthy and safe way.  We strive to produce all our products without gluten so that anyone can use them.  The only soy that is used by God's Green Earth is in the candles and wax melts; soy is a common allergen because it's one of the highest GMO crops in the nation and it is used in a lot of beauty products, we leave it out of our products that are applied and used on the skin.  God's Green Earth does not use dairy in their general product line.  If you have a bovine protein allergy, Alafia & Marije recommend you stay away from their ...And It Was GOAT line of products because Goat milk may contain some of the same proteins as cow milk.  Sometimes a specialty soap is created which contains some dairy and it gets labeled very clearly.  All the beeswax Alafia & Marije use comes from local (within 200 miles of Vermillion, SD) sources, and is in its rawest form when it gets to them.  This means the only processing that has been done to the beeswax is a filtering to get out large particulates and the heating to produce our particular product.  Alafia & Marije believe in transparency with labeling so even on their handcrafted soaps you will find an ingredient list.  All the products created for God's Green Earth are made in small batches which ensures quality control and it reduces the risk of contamination with ingredients that are not desirable.  Alafia & Marije are committed to providing products you love to use, they are willing and able to create custom formulas for individuals with specific needs or to make available wholesale.  They are available to answer questions about their products if you have specific needs or allergies and can match you with a product or make a special one for you."

Contact information:
Alafia & Marije
God's Green Earth
Vermillion, SD 57069
605-202-9126

No comments:

Post a Comment