Saturday, October 12, 2019

Things You Should Know if You Think You Have Celiac Disease


Getting a correct diagnosis for Celiac Disease is too often a challenge and can take several years before you finally get the right diagnosis.  It took my doctor nearly three years of testing, trying different treatments and then me almost dying because my worst symptoms became so severe.  There are over 300 known possible symptoms of Celiac Disease and they are not all just gut related.  In fact, most of them are not.  Even with gut related symptoms, doctors often misdiagnose patients with IBS or other gut related disorders.  Celiac Disease is most often the last thing doctors will check for as a “last resort” like my doctor did.  They don’t consider this right away in most cases.  For a symptom checklist to see if you should be tested for Celiac Disease, you can visit https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/symptoms-checklist/.  Although this checklist gives only the most common symptoms.  For a complete listing of the possible symptoms of Celiac Disease you’ll also want to check out this listing at https://onedishcuisine.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/300-signs-and-symptoms-of-celiac-disease-adults-and-children/.  

Out of the listing of 300 possible symptoms, I have chronically suffered with 74 of these throughout my lifetime.  I can just about pinpoint when many of the symptoms began.  If you have many of the symptoms on either of these lists, don’t wait for your doctor to suggest testing for Celiac Disease.  Ask your doctor to test you.  If your doctor, as in many cases, unfortunately, says they don’t think that is it without even bothering to test you, find a different doctor!  Find one who WILL take you seriously and test you for Celiac Disease.

If you have symptoms from either of the above lists and also have a relative, especially a first degree relative, who has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you need to be tested.  Be sure to tell your doctor that you have family members who have been diagnosed and their relation to you.  People who have a first degree relative diagnosed, which would be a parent, sibling or child, are at higher risk for Celiac Disease.  If you believe that you have Celiac do NOT take no for an answer. 

If bloodwork comes back positive for Celiac Disease – and this is extremely important – do NOT go gluten free until after you’ve had a confirming endoscopy!  This not only confirms diagnosis, but can give you an idea of how much damage there is.  The more you know, the better armed you are to be able to take your health back.  So, the first question to ask your doctor upon a positive blood test for Celiac is to refer you to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy.  When I was diagnosed, I asked if there were any other tests or follow up that I needed and I was told, no.  I never had the confirming endoscopy.  I had been gluten free for five or six months before I found out that I should have had that done.  By then, I’d had so many of my symptoms begin to go away and I knew that gluten had almost killed me before my diagnosis, so I chose at that time not to go back on gluten for the six to eight weeks that I would have to in order to have accurate results with an endoscopy.  I have since been seen by a gastroenterologist, earlier this year, in fact, who spoke with me about my diagnosis in depth.  Even though I hadn’t had the endoscopy, based on my medical history, symptoms and the improvements to my symptoms, he confirmed that I definitely have Celiac Disease.  I also had genetic testing done this year that showed that I have both of the Celiac genes, which further confirmed my diagnosis.

Once you have the confirming endoscopy, ask to be referred to a dietitian who knows about Celiac Disease and understands the realities of being gluten free.  I was fully on my own after my diagnosis.  My doctor knew enough to do the blood tests, but couldn’t give me any information about my disease or even what gluten was beyond telling me that I would have to “give up bread, pasta and stuff like that”.  That was the extent of my doctor’s medical advice and treatment for my Celiac Disease.  I always recommend to anyone newly diagnosed that they consult a dietitian about putting together a game plan for learning how to be gluten free.  Meeting with a dietitian will also help you go gluten free in a healthier way, avoiding many pitfalls that too often the newly diagnosed fall into.  By pitfalls I mean, seeking out gluten free alternatives to the “junk” food you’ve grown to enjoy and indulge in.  Fresh, naturally gluten free foods are much healthier for you.  And, in the beginning, for however long it may take (everyone is different) your body will be in healing mode.  You want to eat foods that will be gentle on your system and aid in healing.

Finding a local support system is also vital to helping you adjust to your new reality.  Many dietitians may know of area Celiac support groups.  It helps in so many ways to get plugged into a group of other people who are going through a similar journey to your own.  I had been living gluten free for over two years when I accidentally stumbled onto our local Celiac Support Group.  I searched the internet for a group when I was first diagnosed, but I never found anything.  It was not well advertised.  Eventually, after losing one and then another group facilitator and sponsor, last year I became the facilitator and sponsor of the group, myself.  Being able to share my experiences and listen to other people talk about theirs makes me feel less isolated and gives me hope, a sounding board, a place to exchange ideas and recipes, to talk about gluten free products we’ve found that are good – or bad, etc.  The people in my group have become very dear friends.  I know that, when no one else understands what I am going through, these people do.  There are also some great online Celiac and gluten free communities that can be very helpful.

To learn more about Celiac Disease, living gluten free and learning healthier living, here are some good sites and a blog that I recommend:


No comments:

Post a Comment