Sunday, February 25, 2018

Crockpot Jambalaya

Recently a friend from work brought something for lunch that smelled divine!  When she told me that it was crockpot jambalaya and gave me the recipe, I got really excited because it was all gluten free!  The next day my excitement grew because Diane brought a bowl of her jambalaya for me!!!  My work friends get me!  Diane gave me permission to share her flavorful recipe with my followers, so here it is.

Diane's easy crockpot jambalaya

Ingredients:
1 whole sweet yellow onion, sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
28 oz (2 cans) stewed tomatoes with juice
14 oz Andouille Sausage (or another ring sausage), cut
1/2 tsp Thyme
Tabasco (to taste - or your favorite hot sauce)
12 oz package frozen cooked shrimp
Brown rice (I used a Quinoa & brown rice package)

*Don't forget to make sure that all of your prepackaged, processed ingredients are gluten free.  I look at the ingredients on the package even if the label says it's gluten free because I like to know exactly what is in the food I'm making.*


Place all ingredients other than the shrimp and rice in a 5 quart crockpot on low and stir together.  I added 3 shakes of the Tabasco.  How much you add depends on how spicy you like it.  


Cover and leave cooking for at least 4 hours.  Stir periodically to keep from sticking.  Prepare rice (or quinoa & rice mix) according to the package.  10 minutes before serving, stir in the shrimp to the mixture in the crockpot.  I added mine while still frozen and it cooked beautifully.  When the rice is finished, plate (or bowl) up and top with the crockpot mixture.  More Tabasco can be added if desired.


I love the simplicity as well as the variety of flavors that can all be tasted in this easy meal.  My husband is always a bit wary of new recipes that I make, but he LOVED this!  One bowl wasn't enough.  So, happy cooking and enjoy!  This is a meal that I will make again and again and again!  Thank you again to my friend and co-worker, Diane Worley for this delectable recipe!


And don't forget to check out my fundraiser for charity: water  You can learn more about this organization here.  And you can donate here.



No comments:

Post a Comment