Saturday, April 7, 2018

Celebration of Life

Today I attended the Celebration of Life for a woman whom I met only once.  Even though we met just one time, she has had a profound affect on my life.  Her name was Michelle Lara.



I met her through my parents at their home many years ago.  She and her family had become very special to my parents.  I know she is one of the many that their hearts came to love as if she were one of their own.  The first thing that comes to my mind about Michelle was when I first met her and her children, Lupe and Larissa.  My parents introduced us and I know she'd heard as much from them about me as I had her.  Her smile was beautiful and genuine and without hesitation, she wrapped her arms around me and enveloped me in a warm hug.  She was easy to talk to and we hit it off immediately.  Her love of life was infectious.  She struck me with not only her big, easy smile, but also her optimism about everything. 

Michelle's life was cut much too short by colon cancer, but in her 48 years, she lived a very full life.  She raised two beautiful children as a single mom, yet also worked on schooling and helping others.  Michelle was a person who wanted to help others so much that she became a nurse.  She was a surgical nurse for 14 years until she suffered a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident in 2009.  The accident happened less than two months after my dad died.  Even though we'd met only once, I felt like I knew her through my mom and dad.  They were so impressed by the loving, kind-hearted, beautiful soul she was.  And so she became very special to me, as well.  We all prayed so much for God's touch on Michelle.  Her faith in Him was strong, but her injuries were great.  She had to have part of her brain removed and she endured paralysis on the left side of her body.  The fact that she survived the accident at all was a miracle.  BUT...she didn't just survive.  Through determination and a "Never say never" attitude that wouldn't let her quit pushing through, she took her life back and she thrived through enormous adversity that would completely defeat most people.  She pushed through years of rehabilitation and dreamt of getting back to helping others.

At a Mercy Me (a Christian band) concert in Sioux City a year or so after her accident, Michelle won a scholarship that was offered that night to Grand Canyon University where she achieved her goals and obtained a Bachelors degree in Nursing and a Master's degree in Nursing Education.  She had recently almost finished her Doctorate in Nursing Education. 

This is a woman who seemed to have everything going against her.  Time and time again today, people who spoke about Michelle talked about how she never complained through all of the hard times.  Yes, she would get frustrated and discouraged at times, but she maintained her optimism and kept that big, beautiful smile on her face and always pushed on, advocating for others and for herself.

Yes, this is a blog about Celiac Disease written by someone living with Celiac Disease.  So, what does this post have to do with Celiac Disease and Celiac Awareness?  Absolutely nothing.  And - absolutely everything.  I started this blog in 2014 after my diagnosis because I want to help others.  I want to advocate for them and for myself.  There have been many times I have gotten discouraged and felt like I have nothing to give.  Am I really helping anyone?  Are the things I want to accomplish really obtainable?  Can I do it?  Do I have what it takes?  So many times I have answered, "No".  I have allowed my insecurities and fear of failure to stop me from moving forward.  Then today as we celebrated the remarkable life lived by this strong, beautiful, loving and amazing woman named Michelle Lara, it dawned on me that anything can be accomplished when we don't give up.  I know that this isn't a new thought, but it is something that can be easier said than done.  We can succeed.  When we don't let our circumstances, obstacles and fears stand in our way.  Michelle squeezed the most out of every moment of her life.  She never quit growing, learning, loving, advocating and taking care of others.  If Michelle can do all of the things she did - and she did it by never quitting, by never saying, "I can't do it" - if she can do the remarkable things she did and accomplish all that she accomplished - we all can.  Michelle's legacy is not only her beautiful children and family, but every person's life that she touched and inspired.  Being reminded again today of all that she was able to do reminded me that I can accomplish the goals I've set for myself by believing in myself, pushing through the obstacles and never saying never.  I can do more with this blog.  I can write my book.  I can successfully advocate for myself and others.  And I am going to continue to do this for as long as the good Lord gives me breath to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment