Sunday, December 9, 2018

10 Celiac Perks

Yes, you read that right - this post is about what I like to call Celiac Perks.  By now, if you've lived with Celiac Disease for any amount of time, or even if you are newly diagnosed, you are well aware of the myriad of Celiac problems.  However, did you know that there are some perks to having Celiac Disease?  I'll bet you didn't!  Well, I am going to share some of the perks I've discovered over the past nearly 5 years of living with Celiac Disease.  After you read this post, I'm interested in hearing from you what are some of the perks you've discovered on this gluten free journey.

#10. Acquiring a new, twisted sense of humor.  The health issues that come with Celiac Disease are serious enough, but the longer you live with this disease the easier it is to have a sense of humor about it.  I mean no one understands the humor of flatulence quite like a Celiac - other than someone who is lactose intolerant, of course.  But then again, many Celiacs are lactose intolerant so...


#9. Having a built-in excuse not to participate in certain social events that you'd rather not attend.  Not being able to eat the food can sometimes be a good thing.


#8. Not putting on the extra pounds co-workers do from all of the goodies around the office during the holidays because 99.9% of them are not gluten free.

Cookies, pies and cakes, oh my!

#7. Being on a first name basis with the wait staff, chef, manager, owner of your favorite restaurant because you are there so often since it's the only restaurant at which you feel safe eating.  When you find that place that educates their staff, understands what cross-contact is and how to avoid it and puts up with you asking about 100 times each time you dine there, if they made sure to note that your meal is gluten free for health reasons (not to mention the other 100 questions that go into placing your order) there is no place else you'd rather be.


#6. Being selfish and not sharing your food with anyone.  Have you SEEN how expensive gluten free food is?!  Yikes! 


#5. The freedom of bringing your own gluten free meal to social gatherings when one is not provided for you.  Yes, I have done this on numerous occasions and I am able to enjoy myself, knowing that every bite is perfectly safe because I made it myself.


#4. The satisfaction of proving to people who think that all gluten free food tastes like shoe leather that there is some really delicious food out there that is gluten free.  Gluten free brownie, anyone?? 


#3. Becoming a part of an amazing, supportive and strong Celiac and gluten free community.


#2. Becoming my own best advocate.


#1. Stepping out of my comfort zone to help educate, encourage, support and advocate for others in this Celiac/gluten free journey.


And don't forget about my holiday giveaway going on right now!  I am taking entries until noon Central Time on December 15, 2018.  To find out how to enter click here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment