Monday, December 9, 2019

Happy Gluten Free Holidays!

I know it is hard sometimes not to get discouraged and feel isolated when you are living with Celiac Disease or other chronic health issues.  I'm not going to say that it's a walk in the park, because it most certainly is not!  Holidays aren't just for healthy people, you know.  Even we can enjoy the holidays.    


I've had more people than I care to count tell me that they'd "just die" if they had to be gluten free, especially during the holidays.  Ha!  I nearly died BECAUSE of gluten!  I know that people who say things like that think that they are being sympathetic, but it is one of the things I hate to hear the most.  I want to shake them and tell them that you can adjust to absolutely anything that will make you healthier and help you live a better quality life.  My quality of life isn't less than, but it's just different than theirs.  

At this time of the year, people concentrate so much on all of the goodies that abound during the holidays.  Where I work, we get many cookie trays and tins of candy, etc from various vendors, the majority of which I can't have.  In the beginning, when I was first gluten free, it really bothered me a lot that I couldn't partake in these sugary treats.  Nearly 6 years later, it doesn't affect me all that much.  While I still sometimes feel isolated because of my dietary and health limitations, I mostly choose to concentrate on other aspects of the holidays that I can still participate in.


Things such as Secret Santa at work.  I've been on the committee for Secret Santa for many years and always have so much fun with it!  Decorating the house, spending extra time with family, listening to Christmas music.  There are so many wonderful things to enjoy at this time of the year!  My husband and I get to spend time with two of our great-nieces during the holidays.  We wish we could spend time with all of our nieces, nephews and great-nieces and great-nephews, but it just isn't possible.  I have my church family that I am very active with and right now we are preparing for our Christmas Eve service just a few weeks away.  Driving around town and looking at the pretty Christmas lights strung on houses and trees is a great way to spend an evening.

This holiday season try to focus on the non-food festivities.  And, by the way, there are a lot of great gluten free recipes out there to try out, too!  When you make those yummy gluten free sugar cookies, don't forget to bake enough to share with others!  I love being able to share my gluten free treats with people who assume that everything gluten free equals tasting like cardboard.  Aren't they surprised when they find out how good gluten free done right can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment