Sunday, November 10, 2019

Dealing with Flare Ups & What NOT to Say to the Chronically Ill

No matter how careful you are to make sure you avoid gluten and do things to try to be healthy, such as drinking lots of water, taking vitamin supplements and eating healthier, sometimes you still end up having a flare up.  Unfortunately, that is simply the nature of life with autoimmune disorders and chronic illness.  Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do to avoid it, no matter how hard you try.



Many things can affect and trigger a flare up.  Things such as changing seasons, stress, illness such as a cold or the flu, time change, unexpected life changes, etc.

This year has been a very difficult and painful year for me and my family, as we've gone through many large and unwelcome transitions.  Since the beginning of August, we lost my grandmother, then my father-in-law only a month later.  Pressures and changes at work for both my husband and I have brought us not only high stress levels, but uncertainty about our future.  With the onset of Autumn came seasonal colds, flu and other illnesses that we've been exposed to out and about.  So many things can trigger a symptom flare up.  These triggers, as well as the symptoms, can be vastly different in different people.  I'm currently suffering through a flare up.  I haven't been glutened (always my husband's first question) and I have been taking my vitamin supplements (his standard second question), yet I am in the middle of a flare up.  The simplest task leaves me feeling completely physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted.  I have been in the bathroom far too much for comfort over the past couple of days with diarrhea and upset stomach.  My head is pounding and, quite honestly, I can barely keep my eyes open to write this post.  My thoughts feel jumbled and, at times, I struggle to find the right word (I swear it is RIGHT on the tip of my tongue!).  My eczema on my arms and behind my ears is aggravated and I just want to crawl under the covers and not come out until Spring arrives!

How do I deal with a flare up like this one?  I'm so glad you asked!  First, know that there is NO magic cure or quick recovery treatment.  Your body has to take as much time as it needs to get over the flare.  However, there are some things you can do to help your body along and make it a little easier for yourself.


1. Stay hydrated!  I sometimes have a hard time with this one, though it is always something I will stress to other people.  It is so important to stay hydrated!!  It will help you replenish your body and will give you more energy (don't laugh - I can hear you now..."Energy?  What is that?!")  I know that seems like a foreign concept to those who are chronically ill because sometimes just the effort of getting out of bed can take every ounce of energy you may have.  But, staying hydrated will boost your energy level, even if it is just a little bit.  After all, every little bit counts when you have chronic illness.  Hydration also helps to lessen or eliminate muscle cramps and spasms.  When I have a flare up, one of my symptoms that gets worse is muscle spasms in my right arm.  I generally have some every day, but usually they are minor and don't cause me pain.  When I have a flare up, however, the spasms are hard and can really cripple up my arm for a time.


2. Allow your body to rest.  Sometimes it can feel like all you are doing is resting.  My work week gets to be long and by the time the weekend comes around I am usually done in.  It is difficult to accomplish things I need to around the house.  I'm learning that I need to do small tasks and take breaks frequently to help prevent from becoming severely drained and unable to function.  When your body is telling you it needs a break - LISTEN to it and obey!  You are not being lazy, you are simply giving your body what it needs.  I know that sleep can be difficult to come by when you are having a flare up due to insomnia or body aches or multiple trips to the bathroom because of gut issues.  Yes, our bodies require sleep.  It is exceedingly vital.  However, I am talking here about resting.  Sit down, lay down, whatever you need to do to allow your body and mind some down time.  For instance, I am writing this post on my laptop while in bed because I don't even have the energy to sit at my desk.  


3. Eat foods that aid in lowering inflammation.  Some good anti-inflammatory foods are bone broth, fish for Omega-3 fatty acids which can aid many health issues, fruits such as pineapple and blueberries, green tea and even dark chocolate.  I know women everywhere are cheering for that last one!  You can research anti-inflammatory foods online.  A really great and informative post about anti-inflammatory foods can be found here.


4. Take a probiotic and vitamin supplements - research to be sure they are gluten free.  My doctor advised me to take a probiotic that is at least 30 billion live cultures per serving.  In my own research I have found that it is generally advised that someone with chronic illness should take at least 50 billion live cultures or more per serving to get the most benefit from it.  To learn more about probiotics and what they do, check out this article.  My doctor also advised me to take prenatal vitamins, though I am well past the age of being able to get pregnant.  He told me that because I have multiple vitamin deficiencies, a prenatal vitamin would benefit me the most.

Now, for those who are not chronically ill, but have someone in your life who is...please never, ever, EVER say any of the following to that person or anyone who suffers from chronic illness:

5. I wish I could just lay around all day and do nothing.
4. Now that you know what is wrong with your health you shouldn't be getting sick anymore, right?
3. You're lucky.  I'd love to be sick just long enough to lose those few extra pounds I've gained.
2. No one could be sick that much, you must be faking it!
1. But you don't look sick!


On any given day, someone living with chronic illness has to push through the pain, fatigue, brain fog, anxiety and more just to attempt to function as if they were a healthy person.  You have no idea how much energy it takes to pretend NOT to be sick!  Just because we are at work, grocery shopping, doing laundry, attending events, do not mistakenly think that we aren't suffering.  We've just become very adept at keeping our suffering hidden.  We aren't trying to get attention.  It may come as a surprise to you, but we don't enjoy being the center of attention due to our health conditions.  We don't want your pity, your scoffing, your disbelief.  We need your patience, compassion and understanding.  What we are going through is difficult, can be isolating and it is an every day battle.  EVERY. DAY.  It will never go away.  This is our life.  For the rest of our lives.


2 comments:

  1. Well done, as always!! I can relate because of my chronic pain....but you know that too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I had the post title as "Dealing with Celiac Flare Ups" but decided this past would work for anyone dealing with chronic health issues. Thank you for your constant support!

      Delete