Saturday, November 2, 2019

Surviving the Holidays When You are Gluten Free

It is a very brisk Autumn day here in Iowa.  With the arrival of November, the holiday season is fast approaching.  It seems that especially this time of year can get very discouraging and frustrating for those of us who have to be gluten free due to Celiac Disease or other health issues that require a gluten free lifestyle.  Here are some ways I have found to survive the holidays being gluten free.  (read all the way to the end for the Giveaway Winner announcement!)


Just because we are gluten free doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves along with our family, friends and co-workers at holiday get-togethers and events!  One thing I learned during my first holiday season after my Celiac diagnosis is not to expect others to cater to my dietary needs.  It isn't fair to them and you will only be disappointed and probably end up sick.  I try really hard not to call attention to my being gluten free other than when I have to.  I have never enjoyed being the focus of attention and this is no exception.  My sister-in-law, having the most space in her home, always graciously hosts the family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We do it potluck style, with everyone bringing something for the meal.  At Thanksgiving, I completely prepare an entire Thanksgiving meal for myself at home, including the turkey (even with meat, you have to watch to see if anything was added to make sure it is safe for consumption when you have to be gluten free).  Yes, my sister-in-law and her husband usually make a turkey, but I don't mind making my own, as well.  I can control what I am getting and I know exactly what has been used in preparing it and my husband and I have left-overs that we wouldn't if I didn't make my own.  My sister-in-law usually provides potatoes, so I don't make those, though I do make my own gluten free gravy and stuffing at home and take just what I need for myself.  Actually, I end up taking a little bit more, as well, because my mom likes to try the gluten free foods I make, even though she doesn't have to be gluten free.  I always try to make a gluten free desert to share with everyone there and on Black Friday - otherwise known as Iowa Hawkeye Game Day to our family, I always bring a snack that everyone can enjoy (including me).  A favorite that is requested of me each year is my spinach, artichoke dip.  Yum!  The nice thing about making my own meal that is safe for me to eat is that, anymore, it is just commonplace and no one thinks anything of it.  I am not the center of attention because of my limitations and I get to enjoy delicious, gluten free foods that I know are perfectly safe.


On my dad's side of the family, there are quite a few of us living with Celiac Disease or non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity, so there are always plenty of delicious gluten free options at these family gatherings!  And, we don't have to worry about cross-contact because everything is labeled with separate utensils and kept away from the gluten-full foods.  While it is sad that so many of us have to avoid gluten on this side of the family, it also feels like I can just enjoy a normal family gathering because I'm not alone.


There are many things you can do to be safe and yet still be a part of the festivities.  Eating ahead of time can help and then just enjoy a glass of wine or a hot cider and good conversation with everyone else at the event, or bring your own food.  The first couple of years after my diagnosis I found kind of depressing as I focused on all of the things I couldn't have instead of focusing on just being with family and friends and enjoying the moment.  Concentrate on the joy and fun of the event and don't let what you can't have get you down.  Be thankful that you know what has caused your health issues and that you are in control as much as you can be.  

At any event where you bring your own food or, if catered and the caterer will provide a gluten free meal for you, there may be some people who ask you questions about your health and about being gluten free.  I've learned to give short, but accurate answers to these questions unless someone really is interested in learning more about Celiac Disease and being gluten free.  Many people, while curious, don't want to know the entire history of gluten, Celiac Disease, etc.  Most are asking to be polite.  Generally, I try to give a short answer and then turn the topic of conversation to something else that everyone can participate in.  That way, I'm not on the spot and the conversation doesn't become all about me and my health issues.  I want to enjoy the festivities as much as the next person.

The holidays can be very intimidating and isolating if you let them.  For me, being able to prepare and take my own food to get-togethers cuts out the intimidation factor and keeps me from being isolated.  I can say yes and attend and be a part of the event and know that I am safe because I've prepared my own meal.  Even though most holiday events center around food, remember that there is so much more to enjoy about life than just the food!  After all, the best things in life are free (gluten free, that is!).  Take a moment this holiday season to really notice and appreciate all of the naturally gluten free things in your life.  Some of my favorites are the sound of children laughing, joyful holiday music, the colorful Autumn leaves, warm sweaters, snuggling with my favorite someone - there are so many beautiful things in this life that have nothing to do with food, but are naturally gluten free.  Enjoy them this holiday season!


Now for the winner of the Autumn Giveaway co-sponsored with my friend, Kallie at S2 Soaps...



ANDREA KESSLER @skessler28
Congratulations, Andrea!!



2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I've seen you grow through the years while you learn about Celiac Disease and being gluten free. You are an inspiration!! <3

    ReplyDelete